Monday, December 17, 2007

Transportation 101

I hike all over town. I go as far east as you can go from here, then back to the Indian Shop east of town (yes I was lost.) Then back into the city to the main department store. I cover about 25 miles on foot starting at 4AM. My feet stink. I stink. I am severely dehydrated. I have visited every major store in the country.

I am seeking a bicycle.

I don't want anything fancy, just something that has a prayer of surviving a two year stint here. Initially I think I'll try a single speed cruiser, but it rides like a truck towing a trailer. I finally select the mountain bike. It lists for TOP$195 (about US$100). This is a lot of money for me.

All of the bikes here are of the bottom of the line variety that even WalMart wouldn't carry. I would kill for a Huffy.

I negotiate a 10% discount and drive off (oops I mean walk off) to Peace Corps. They have helmets for us all. Riding a bike without a helmet is a cardinal sin.

The best one I can find in the heap of available helmets displays a manufacturing sticker from Jan 1999. The foam and shell are broken, interiors components have turned to black dust. There are arthropods residing in it. It is the best there is.

I put it on top of my head. It is way to small and sits on top like a Devo hat. The Tongans are gonna think I'm insane.

Everyone tells me - "Sione - your head is all black," referring to the rain of crap from the helmet. Oh well. At least I have a way to get to my campsite for the night! I can ride my new bike!!!!

I head out of town. My campsite is really inconveniently located. I'm perhaps two miles away when I feel a wobble. The entire right crank - pedal, crank arm, and rings... falls on the road. Traffic swerves around the crashing palangi.

Welcome to Tonga. I look at the bright side. At least there is a good chance it will be stolen!

No comments: