Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Kilisimasi FieFia!!!! - Bang Bang!


What is with all the guns? As the days lead up to Christmas all the male kids are becoming better armed. By Christmas eve virtually all of them are packing some sort of cheap Chinese toy gun. They are everywhere. I pick through the debris of broken guns in the street looking for anything I can recycle into a bike part or something. I keep a nylon washer.


As I walk down the road a parent tells his child to "shoot the Palangi". I get blasted by an electronic ray gun and play that I've been hit. Everyone laughs. I am downtown. A gray haired gentleman walks by with a plastic shotgun. He walks in a small shop and announces "Merry Christmas" (in English) then "Bam Bam" as he pretends to blast the woman behind the counter. He laughs and laughs then goes on the next shop where he repeats the joke.


I discuss this with the woman I live with. (Well... not live WITH, but share a house with.) It is Christmas afternoon. Her sons have huge new toy guns. The biggest is labeled "The Terminator." No conclusions as yet.


1 comment:

Madi said...

Hehe Tongans have such a strange sense of humor!