Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Return to Civilization

Our final day in Vava'u. I wake at 05:30 and rush through a shower (YES! The water is working today!)

We are flying back. A big relief after out boat trip here. No one knows when the plane leaves or even how many planes will fly today, but our village gets to go first because we are the most squared away group. I briefly wake my host dad from his Kava induced slumber to wish him well and I am off in a crowded Peace Corps van.

Most of the village including my host mom follow us to the airport to see us off. By 07:00 Air Tonga has weighed both us and the little bit of luggage we are allowed to take on the flight. (Our real luggage will take the boat back and we hope to see it in a few days?)

The two man airport staff carefully records our weights and fills out a seating chart based on them. My handwritten ticket claims my flight leaves at 16:45. Others say 12:30.

About 07:50 a small (16ish seat) dual turboprop drops from the sky and disgorges it's few passengers. We immediately board and depart. Whew!

We fly at 7,000 feet for most of the trip. We see the many islands on Hapai below. In the distance the huge cinder cone of the volcano pokes above the scattered clouds.

It take just over an hour and we are back to the international airport in Fu'omotu. We land on the paved runway today. (Sometimes they land on the grass.)

It turns out that it will take four flights to get us all back. It takes all day. None of the flights really have a scheduled time or even capacity. Each flight originates in Fiji and they send whatever plane they have available. That is the way we understand it at least.

I write this from the Peace Corps office. Last night I ate half of a decent pizza. NO Tongan root crops! I even got a couple of local beers, served COLD, to wash it down.

When I returned to the guest house I analyzed the plumbing in my shared bathroom. Many rooms are hot water capable, but most residents can't actually get it to work.

I play with the system until I get the on-demand gas heater to activate. (There is a "light" switch downstairs that must be on to drive an electric water booster pump.) I can hear sparks, but no flame. I trace the lines and find an empty gas bottle. With the gas bottle replaced I crash despite the racket of 30 some slightly drunk PCVs partying all night.

This morning I am up at 05:30, plod down to activate the water pump. I shave with a SINK and MIRROR!! Then a real honest to God hot shower.

No coffee until 07:30. It is instant, but it is still heaven. Then we get BACON and french toast. We are ecstatic! We all comment on how it is great to have a lean meal. Bacon is so much leaner than the "meats" we've been eating. I pet the dog at my feet as I eat, careful not to get my fingers into any of the open sores that attract so may flys. Gosh it is good to be back in civilization!

No comments: