Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Good Night... Sleep Tight... Don't let the...

I am already scratching when I wake. The mosquito coil from last night has burned out.

Gosh my leg itches and usually the mosquitoes go for my head, hands and feet?

I look and there is a group of red welts... perhaps 15. (The welts stay for about a week.)

After getting dressed and downing a Tongan breakfast I pull out the Peace Corps medical handbook. Yup, here it is - Bed Bugs.

I tell my host sister. She pretends not to understand. I explain that we need to clean everything from the sheets to the mats on the floor.

She empties the room, then flies in with the B52s and nukes the place with high powered bug spray (more on the spray in a subsequent blog).

The bedding smells of chemicals, but the bedbugs are gone. Hallelujah!

A week later I see her repeating the process with her (sort of) room. The bedbugs have claimed another victim.

FYI - I have learned the Tongan word for bedbug. It translates as Fiji Bug. All good stuff here prefixed with Tonga... Bad things are prefixed with Samoa or Fiji...

No comments: