Tuesday, January 8, 2008

When it Rains it Pours - 2 Packages in one day!

I wake early. The bells are ringing. The Tongans have become nocturnal for Uike Lotu (prayer week). Church activity including Choir, brass bands, etc goes on all night. My neighbors sleep during the day.

Another molokou (venomous centipede) is running across the floor. It keeps going for my feet. It is only a small one, perhaps four inches long, but this bugger is fast. I assume it is looking to hide in the dark beneath my feet, but it may just be trying to bite me.

I crush it and leave it outside for the chickens. They love these things.

It is another rainy day. We are in the rainy season and it pretty much rains every day. Sometimes hard, sometime misting, but rarely dry. By the time I drive around town, get some coffee, and unlock my workplace I have a trail of mud thrown up my back from the bike tires.

At work I have an email from the PC Office. Something about a parcel.

I cycle over, dodging water filled potholes and swerving cars.

I do not have a parcel. I HAVE TWO! These are the first parcels I have received so it is a big deal. Both my sisters, Ann and Jeanne have sent boxes and they finally arrived.

Ann's looks a bit tired. The box is soaked and falling apart. One of the postal services has added an additional layer of packing tape to hold it together. I open it and find a smashed jar of jam. Dang - it is hard to find good jam here, but there are 3 surviving jars. I also find a couple of big jars of real organic peanut butter, some crackers, and a bunch of natural healthy stuff. Lots of nuts. Good things. I wash everything and now I need to find a way to get this stuff back to the place I sleep. Quite a haul.

I pack Jeanne's parcel into my backpack and fill around with Ann's stuff. It all fits but the pack looks like it will explode. I ride back in heavy rain, carefully dodging the potholes that realistically could be fatal in this traffic.

The molokou is still squirming when I arrive. Although it hasn't made it to the next life yet, ants are cutting it up and hauling the pieces to their pad. Life is tough in the tropics. It will be all gone by the AM.

I unpack Jeane's stuff and find lots of little candy bars, some business magazines, tons of gum and some smokes (for gifts and trading). Plus some working bic pens.

I have a 3 musketeers, open the peanut butter and pack the magazines to read over coffee in the morning. It doesn't get any better than this!

No comments: