Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Beachfront Property



As you know I have been camping outside of Nuku'alofa in what I hope to be a very temporary housing situation. The town I live in is built on a swamp. This is common around Nuka'alofa and considered an urgent urban planning problem by the Kingdom (see their website).

I've (hopefully) included a couple of photos I took this morning from within my living room/kitchen. I stayed at the campsite late this morning so I could take a picture after the sun came up. These were taken around 06:30.

You will note two things:

1) There is a road right against the house (a little over a meter away).
2) The road and everything else is under water.

These conditions are not conducive to the bicycle commuter, but I digress.

A few more assumptions:

The septic systems in the neighborhood are all under water. So don't expect me to go swimming out there.

The drains that normally back up in my bathroom if I try to use it are definitely not in the best of shape this AM.

If you zoom in on the kitchen photo you can see my rice cooker on the stove. It is really a Kapa Pulu (Canned Meat) can. It works great.

You'll also notice all my toiletries. I shave and brush in the kitchen. The sink drains through the wall right onto the ground so I don't worry about backups. As you can infer the bathroom is not a user friendly environment.

Aren't the floors beautiful?

We are currently watching a tropical depression near here. It is starting a bit of rotation so it may turn into a cyclone. If it does I may be able to open a beech resort!

1 comment:

myrab said...

Looks like you do have a pretty decent stove. Better than a Propane bottle and two burner on the floor. Hope the weather is better. Keep us posted.

Stan's Mom
Myra