Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Visit a Mens Club

A men's club in the States usually revolves around nearly naked women. Although I have had the opportunity to place money on the oiled skin of local women as they dance, it is NOT the same thing here. But I digress...

"John, wear your shorts tomorrow. No tupenu. You don't want to look like a Peace Corps. We'll be going to the Nuku'alofa club."

We have a business meeting scheduled with an executive from an Australian aid agency. This is my first exposure to a Commonwealth style men's club.

We pick up our guest and park in front of the Nuku'alofa club. "Don't say Peace Corps. I'll sign you in as a guest from Texas," my sponsor instructs.

The members only club is packed. Some members play snooker. All members have drinks. I recognize a number of movers and shakers from my previous networking outings.

Wednesday night is a big night here. We have a raffle. Everyone is excited.

We take turns buying rounds. We stick with the local Ikali Beer. Since we are promoting Tongan business we always stick to local products if we can. I end up drinking way more than my usual amount - a common occurrence since joining the Peace Corps.

I am told about the club. Men only except for the Christmas party. Then women come all decked out. The men's room becomes a lady's for one night, the men use a local tree. It is reported to be quite a big deal.

We have two cabinet ministers in attendance tonight. The King is absent, but reputed to be a regular.

What is everyone talking about? Business, Business, Business.... The discussions doesn't ever swing towards women.

The raffle starts. There are about two hundred entries. The prizes are late and may not make it until tomorrow, so I don't get to appreciate their richness.

First we draw for three prizes of a whole chicken. Then the BIG prizes. Three prizes of a meat tray. Cool - sorry I couldn't see the prizes.

So did I dress correctly? Of all the attendees I spot three tupenus (men's skirts). And one of those is on a Peace Corps staff member.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle John! Mostly testing the comments area - more comments forthcoming.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.