Monday, October 15, 2007

The weather must have changed

The Weather must have changed. – Getting sick in Tonga. October 16 2007

Gosh I feel tired. Yes, I had been running around like crazy trying to absorb as much of the local culture as possible, but this didn’t feel right. Saturday I dug out my copy of the Shumway language book. I am struggling with the language and need all the study time I can get.

None of it sunk in. I am bad at this stuff, but usually a little sticks.

Then came the Kai Kuli. Then a trainee party on the beach. Then another Kava. At Kava I noticed a dime sized sore on my calf. It wass noticeable, not only to the other men, but also to the local flies. All in all a pretty long day.

By Sunday, I had crashed and burned. I took my temperature and confirmed a 101 fever. Hot for me.
After church with the family, my host dad drove me to the Peace Corps trainer’s house. There I got some Tylenol for the fever and stuff to clean and bandage the wound.

Monday morning I met with the local medical officer. She is a high-powered nurse. Just a couple of questions and she tied together the sore and the fever. I had a nasty infection.

So now I’m on antibiotics and keeping the darn thing clean. Several of us have infections from very minor cuts. A blister on one trainee has turned his foot red and swelled it up. Another trainee got smashed into the reef, but sought immediate treatment and has so far avoided infection.

Others have had the usual maladies one would expect when traveling to another country. Basically colds, flu-like bugs etc. Happily, we have all avoided diarrhea, the one thing we expected.

Here in Tonga there seems to be no concept of germs or infection. If youare sick it is usually "because the weather changed". It may also be because of bad behavior or a devil.

My host family treats their children with Tongan medicine. Currently both kids are sick and are being treated with a crushed red bark from a tree that grows near the beach. It doesn't seem to work too well. The kids are up all night crying.

BTW - There was a political demonstration in town today. All reports are that it was peaceful and none of us is stressed about it.

No comments: