Friday, October 26, 2007

The Legend of Ruba

My 1st day in a new town. I don't know anybody and don't know my way around.

I find the paved road and just wander down it greeting the local Tongans as I go. The women here weave mats in groups all day. This replaces the tapping of Tapa I knew in Tongatapu.

A twenty something, also named Sione comes out to say hi. He moved here from San Francisco to take care of his folks. He has a big clean house. and i soon find he has COLD water and a fridge!

He decides that I must see the beach. We walk for 30 minutes down a tough path to a steep hill. Down to the ocean we go where we cool our feet. I see my first sea snake and a big blue starfish.

Sione loves to talk. I listen to him talk about his business prospects. He plans to become a long-line fisherman. He has a boat coming from Samoa. He has them cover the decks with used tires, size 13, 14 and 15. He will sell them from his front yard.

He points to the base of a nearby cliff.

"I don't know if you can still find bones there, but there used to be bone there."

It turns out that in the 60s a man names Rupa lived atop the cliff. He would capture women who clammed in the remote area and eat them. Sione claimed that everyone knew he was a canibal, but that it took a while for the missionaries to get out here.

Good ghost story for halloween.

5 comments:

myrab said...

Enjoying your writing. Look forward to sharing your adventure.

Stan's Mom, Myra

Joan Hansen said...

What an adventure! I've enjoyed reading what you are doing in Tonga. I've never eaten dog but I have eaten guinea pig and goat.

Joan Hansen

Unknown said...

Hey John,
I sat here for a few minutes and tried to determine why you chose the last name Locke.

Let's see... you could be John Locke, an English philosopher considered the first of the British Empiricists, whose ideas had enormous influence on the development of epistemology and political philosophy, and is widely regarded as one of the most influential Enlightenment thinkers and contributors to liberal theory. But I'm guessing you chose the last name Locke, from the character on Lost; however, I think you'd better compare to the philosopher.

Glad that you are doing well. I miss chatting with you and look forward to your return...and all of your adventurous stories.

Miss you lots, Lois

Madi said...

Hey Dad!
Just letting you know that I read this and I really enjoy your stories

-Madi

Anonymous said...

Hey thats me the Legend of Ruba I am the legend I am Ruba and I am a legend thank you for all your respect to me!