Friday, October 26, 2007

Quick Update from Va'Vau

Well I made it into town and to the Internet cafe. I'll give a quick update, then as time permits I'll try to do a post on the boat trip here, and my experience killing and preparing a puaka (pig). I also have a good story about a serial killer and canibal from the 60's who lived near where I am staying.

I was sick for a couple of weeks. It started as an infection on my leg. Not like anything we get at home. That is healing well.

When I went off the antibiotics I no longer had all the good critters living in my gut that helped protect me from the nasties, so I had some intestinal challenges.

That is all behind me now and I'm trying to catch up on language.

Trainees are spread over three villages. I am in Ta'anea.

It is very rustic. No real roads near my house, just mud paths. Much more to my expectations of a Peace Corps experience. It's still not too challenging. We often have running water (today was my first morning I could take a shower without a bucket.) No sinks. I stand in the back yard and shave and brush my teeth.

The older members of my host family speak little or no English. I am at the point I can tell them where I am going and thank them for all they do. They really want to please and try to find my favorite foods and make sure I am taken care of. I have an electric fan at night and this is my greatest luxury.

Still no fridge here. They do have an old style drum washing machine.

We have the usual papayas and have added mangos and pineapples.

It is always in the 80s with 100% humidity. The trainees are learning to move slower and we always have a gleam of sweat on our skin.

It was tough adjusting for a few days, but after getting together for classes yesterday we cheared everybody up. I figure in a week we'll be adjusted to the new environment and perfectly at home again. The biggest challenge is all the rain and mud.

BTW - My sister Ann gave me a wind up flashlight radio thing. I use it all the time as the restroom and showers are outside and there are no lights. I am a bit paranoid about the giant centepedes they have here. About the same as the ones we had in Austin - nasty.

They split us into language groups by level. My new group is slower and I kept my teacher. 'Ofa is the best language teacher. IMHO She is older and has the patience of Job.

Please feel free to add comments to the blog. I's love to hear what those of you back in the world think about all this!

No comments: