Friday, October 26, 2007

THE boat ride





I was uncomfortable with the concept of a day long ferry trip from Tongatapu to Va'vau. We had all heard stories of decks awash in vomit. I know I get seasick easily and was expecting the trip from hell.

My host family from Fu'amoto met us at the warf to see me off. I got the usual lei and it was sad to leave them. The Peace Corps issued each of us a life jacket. One more thing to drag around with us, but it felt good to know it was there. I saw life boats on the ferry, but no life jackets.

The ferry is small and old. It looks scary. It does NOT look like it can go hundreds of miles across open ocean.

Most of us rushed onboard and secured a room on the "promenade deck". We had mats and the PC brought food. Our nurse gave us some kick butt meds. They prevent seasickness and make you sleep.

To make a long story short... The waves out there are huge and crash over the deck. The boat makes noises that a boat should not make. Groans and the crashing of loose hatches. One of the trainees gets his IPod stolen. Maried couple get yells at for sleeping near each other. They are stepped on and told to pray.

In the middle of the night the engines stop. A tiny boat pulls up and we pick up a family. We did this at least twice. In the middle of the ocean. BIG Waves. - Absolutely crazy!

The bathrooms are disgusting. The PC warns us not to eat and drink so we won't need to use them. They are below, and the decks down there are awash in putrid water that washes over my feet.

While sleeping packed (like the proverbial sardines) on the deck we all slide with the swells. I am on my back. Slide to pile up to port. Then slide to starboard. My tailbone hurt for days. And try to walk? The boat is pitching like a cork!

Well - we made it in one piece. Some people actually want to do it again.

As more me, I'm happy we plan to fly back to Tongatapu in 6 weeks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like rush hour on the Chicago el during a thunderstorm!

Unknown said...

Hey John,

Nice seats...or maybe I should say view! I can't imagine being squashed all together like that for any length of time or using gross restrooms, but I bet the company was awesome. I'm that you are keeping a journal and taking lots of photos...this trip could turn into an adventure murder mystery novel!

I can't wait to hear more.
Miss you lots and take care,
:) Lois