Friday, April 4, 2008

A bit more revenge

My daughter calls and wakes me up. This is strange since it is about 08:00 and I never sleep past 05:00 here, even though today is Saturday. I know I am puke (pronounced pookay, but yes... this is where the American word Puke comes from.) After getting a quick but much appreciated update on her wonderful life I face the slime in my bathroom.

The drain is 100% plugged and the ensuing pool of water has grown a slime film on the tile. This does NOT feel good squishing between my toes when I shower. The Peace Corps is doing health checks this week and they plan to inspect my wonderful campsite to be sure I am keeping it clean and healthful. I need to get rid of this or who knows what kind of bad thing will happen to me.

I dump about $10 of chlorine bleach into the slime and open the outside door. The gap beneath the door has been the only drain for my bathroom since it plugged. (And yes... I have told my landlord, the last time was yesterday. I have also informed my employer and the Peace Corps. Self sufficiency is required here.)

I use a mop to swab the breaking down slime out the door. It stinks of chlorine and slime, but that is better than just slime. I do this as often as I can afford and I know that later a few dollars worth of pine cleaner will give it all a nice clean pine fresh scent. (With overtones of human waste and slime...)

I am going slow, since I am a bit sick, but I move on to the laundry. My washing machine is the blue bucket mentioned in my prior post. I fill it with soap and water and kneed to loads of cloths. Then I repeat to rinse them.

After I put them in the dryer (ie hang them on a line outside) I return to clean up my kitchen sink.

There is a little 3 inch molokou gurgling by the sink. He must have been sleeping in my dirty clothes and gone along for the ride. Still alive, but much the worse for wear. At least the little bastard never got his fangs into me.

I put him is a recycled disposable plastic cup (I don't actually dispose of anything here that can be used again) and drop him into my freezer.

Next time I have hot oil on the stove I will post just what fried molokou tastes like.

4 comments:

Madi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madi said...

I thought I'd woken you up! I was thinking, "Well that makes no sense, he would have been up for a while now," but I was wrong.

Crazy stuff on the molokau, it reminds me of when Candy the fish died and she was in the freezer for months because I was going to make a cooking show out of her. Sometimes I think I'm normal, and then I remember those times. I guess I got that from you, though. =)

PS- I miss you A LOT!

John Taskett (Locke) in Tonga said...

I miss you too. And it seems to me that maybe I got it from you!