Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Transportation Update

I drop my bike off with Niko, the old man in a house near the Peace Corps. The cranks are wobbling all over the place. I know this is a worn out bottom bracket.

I am biking about 300 miles a month. Thanks to my sister for sending a bike computer so I can keep track. I am on my third seat. Yup - I've broken two seats. My rear tire is almost worn to the cords.

After leaving the bike with Niko, I walk back to work. Within a few hundred meters of the office my flip-flops tear. They are completely unrepairable. I stop at a China Shop (what we call the small shops if they are run by a Chinese person.) He has no size 13s but he has 12s in white for TOP$8.50 and a cheaper pair in black for TOP$3.50. I get the black, they are tight, but they sorta work.

I had assumed that large sizes would be common here, but I have discovered that despite huge feet, they wear smaller sizes. Their feet are just wide. There are no size 13s here.

I return after 4 and Niko has the bike waiting. He has actually rebuilt the bottom bracket and replaced a ball bearing. In the states we would just replace the entire cartridge, so I am hoping this will hold up for at least another 750 miles or so.

But for now it is nice to be able to stand and sprint when I need to get through a roundabout before getting smashed by a van that fails to yield.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Is that 13 or 13w sandals? I'm only asking because I think Santa may have left a pair of athletic ones for you at my house by mistake...expect them disguised as books, too!

:) Lois

Anonymous said...

p.s. ~ I'm working on the tire situation...not quite sure how to disguise them as books...yet, anyway. :) Lois