Monday, March 10, 2008

Bank On It!

As usual I am low on cash. I try to keep my cash position low to help reduce spending and minimize the impact of any loss or theft. I cycle into town on my newly repaired bike (long story) before dawn and decide to hit the ATM before checking out the bakery for cheap food.

The ATM is displaying a screen that indicates it is not going to be of much use to me. No worries, there is a second. After all I am at the main Tonga branch of one of Australia's largest banks.

The second ATM is also feeling under the weather. Hmmm. Here is a note informing all customers that the ATM and EFT networks are down until further notice. I still have $3 cash, so I buy a loaf of whole grain bread for $1.80 and skip my usual donation to the old lady beggar of the bakery. I am glad it is $1.80. It is a different price every day and sometimes it is up to $3.30. Same bakery. Same clerk. And no, they don't actually change the prices every five minutes. It is just Tonga.

Later I head for the local bank branch near work. The ATMs are still dead.

I hit the very long line, but enjoy the wait as this is one of the few buildings in Tonga with air conditioning. Finally it is my turn.

"I'd like to take out $100 please" I say.
"Do you have your last ATM receipt?" asks the teller.
"Uhhh... No." is my reply.

A worried look. Normally I just give my name and over the counter comes the cash. No passport, no drivers license, no ID of any kind. This is, after all, Tonga.

The problem today? No computers at all. None. But no worries, we fill out a withdrawal slip with just my name, no account number, and I eventually get my $100. I know I'm good for it, but I am thankful the bank agrees. I suspect that being a palangi helped.

Try that one at home.

No comments: