Thursday, February 7, 2008

You're kidding - Transportation 105???????

I'm walking at Hash last night. (Look up Hash House Harriers on Wikipedia to find out about this organization. Hash bills themselves as a running club with a drinking problem. Great way to network here.) So I am walking with a bunch of folks talking about the local housing crunch and business development and the airport... Usual stuff - when my shoe gets a flat tire. It is a surfing sandal. Pretty tough shoe, but it has died.

This morning I leave work about 09:30 and head off to Primas Department store to find a replacement. Primas is a full service department store, clothes, dry goods, bikes, pots and pans, linens, shoes, back packs, school supplies. Everything. All in a space smaller than a typical Wallgreens back in the States. Obviously not a huge selection and very narrow aisles.

I am looking forward to this. I usually have a terrible time with shoes in the States as I have big feet, US size 13.

But HERE the people are all huge. They have huge hands and feet. I know I will find a great selection.

I pick up a pair. Really cheap looking but it will work. It is a size 11. "Hi, do have this in a US size 13?" I ask. "No, is the immediate answer."

"What do you have in a 13?" I ask. "Nothing. It is finished."

They have not a single shoe or flip-flop larger than 11. After long discussion and many laughs (this is Tonga) we agree that they SHOULD have a good selection of large sizes, but they don't. I should keep checking. No one ever knows what is in the next container.

I go next door. It is a store somehow related to Primas, but they have slightly different inventory. Here sizes are metric or European or something. The largest they have on display is a 45. I can't put it on.

The service person goes upstairs and searches. She returns with a cheap black plastic pair of sandals, size 47. They look like they will last about a week. (I am tough on shoes, walking and biking everywhere. Locals walk very little.)

It is my only option, the shoes I have on are a total wreck and the right one keeps falling off. I take of my old ones and have them toss 'em. I wear the new ones to the register where I simply tell her $26.90 and lift my foot for her inspection.

So please keep your fingers crossed and say a brief lotu (prayer). At least this will give the strange tan lines on my feet a change of pace.

2 comments:

Madi said...

If I got you shoes here and mailed them to you, would they get to Tonga?

Anonymous said...

Good luck with those shoes! Thanks again for sharing your day. Life in Tonga is a good wake up call for all of us. Good for thought.

Stan's Mom,
Myra